Developed in the early 1920s as a streetcar suburb, "Chatham Estates," Plaza Midwood's development coincided with that of Myers Park neighborhood. Two prominant local families provided the impetus for the initial development of the neighborhood: the Van Landinghams (2010 The Plaza) and the Victors (1800 The Plaza). Plaza Midwood's trolley line ran along Central Avenue to The Plaza and down Mecklenburg Avenue to the Mecklenburg Country Club (now the Charlotte Country Club). The Oakland Land Company laid out much of the street design.
During the Depression, Plaza Midwood underwent many phases, resulting in a diverse architectural heritage. The urban flight of the 1950s and 1960s left parts of the neighborhood on the brink of decline. By the mid-1970s Plaza Midwood residents began to group together to preserve their neighborhood, and in August 1975, the Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association (PMNA) was organized.
For a more personal look at the history of Plaza Midwood, read Charles M. Paty, Jr's Bull Frogs and Arched Doorways.